All work and no play made Jack a dull boy. This adage proves well for PhD students as well. Like all professionals, they ideate well when they plan a holiday. However, in the entire process, they need to make sure that the work doesn’t suffer. Hence, the support of the supervisor could work miracles here.
If a supervisor encourages you to take breaks and if she knows that your work won’t suffer, then you should take a break but only for a period she has suggested.
However, a right process should be followed in a right manner to ensure that you don’t follow a wrong path.
Here are a few points you should try to remember to plan your break:
1. Take permission: Make sure to ask your supervisor that you want to avail your entitled annual leave.
2. Ensure your work doesn’t suffer: Next point to remember is that you are not availing your break at the cost of your work.
3. Commit to your work before your break: Before you go for your work, your should know the schedule of your supervisor. Also, you should make sure that you commit and finish your work before you get into another world.
4. Give your contact details to your supervisor: Let your supervisor know the details of the world you are into. This will help him to trace you during emergency scenario.
5. Complete your formalities: There are some department formalities that should be completed to avail the entitled holidays. Make sure that you don’t leave any of those formalities incomplete. As your supervisor is answerable in your absence, make sure you don’t put him in an awkward situation.
Hence, live a normal human life and follow certain precautions to enjoy breaks while pursuing PhD.